For the milk pie,
- All of the ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Butter and flour a 30 cm diameter round baking pan (or 23 x 35 cm rectangular pan).
- In a pot with a heavy base, pour in 1 liter of milk (save the rest of the milk for later).
- To the liter of milk, add the sugar, the cinnamon stick, the lemon zest, the vanila and the salt. Heat over
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Add the remaining milk, the flour and the semolina and combine
with the whisk. Once the ingredients are combined, stir in a couple ladlefuls of the hot milk mixture into
the egg mixture.
- Add the egg mixture into the pot. Stir continuously until the cream thickens. Remove from heat at the
first sign of boiling.
- Stir in the butter for it to melt.
- Pour the cream into the buttered and floured pan. Even out the cream.
- For the crust, beat the egg, the milk and the sugar together. Brush this mixture all over the top of the
- Cut the butter into small pieces and distribute pieces all over the top.
- Bake in a preheated convection oven, on the middle rack, at 180 degrees Celsius for about 45 minutes
until galaktopita rises slightly, it firms and it turns golden brown.
- If you wish to sprinkle you milk pie without phyllo with cinnamon and sugar, do so while the pie is still hot.
Let cool before cutting and serving.
If you liked this recipe, milk pie without phyllo by Argiro Barbarigou, you should try also greek rice pudding!